Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 2:30 AM ET
- from Glendora, Calif.
- pursuing a BA in Design Media Arts at the University of California, Los Angeles
- Wells Fargo Point Scholarship recipient
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
My Point Scholarship will allow me to continue making a difference in the LGBT community in ways I already have and grant me access to opportunities I could have never imagined. Having already been an activist throughout high school at both local and state levels, I thought I would have to give it all up and focus on making money to support myself throughout college. Both my parents lost their jobs six months ago, and my dad unfortunately faces another life-threatening surgery (his twelfth in the past fifteen years). With my Point Scholarship, my family will be free to focus on getting back on their feet, and I can continue the activist work I have previously enjoyed, such as serving on the Gay-Straight Alliance's Board of Directors. I'll also get the chance to focus on and further my studies and eventual career as a multimedia artist creating pro-equality media. Having no previous connection to the creative industry, the mentor Point Foundation will provide me with will expand my horizons and support me as I make my way into a challenging career market.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make a difference in the LGBT community?
My goals in the LGBT community are both political and cultural. As a member of the Gay-Straight Alliance Network's Board of Directors, I will continue helping guide the organization to empower youth activists to fight homophobia and transphobia in schools. I will also continue with the organization to create new and innovative educational workshops for student leaders and help replicate our youth-empowerment model nationwide. Career-wise, as a multimedia artist, I hope to develop projects that compel audiences to see the suffering anti-LGBT discrimination causes and support the fight for overall equality.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 26 min 40 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 43 min 45 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 52 min 17 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 1 hour 17 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 1 hour 20 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 53 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 57 min ago