Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 2:30 AM ET
- from Los Angeles
- pursuing an MD at the University of California, Davis School of Medicine
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
Point Foundation will provide me with support through mentorship, sharpen my leadership abilities, and foster a space for exploration and discussion of new ideas on ways to improve LGBT healthcare. The foundation brings together a community of activists, academics and advocates that will help me to pursue my goals of increasing access to quality healthcare for LGBT patients.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
After completing my medical degree, I hope to work in an urban center providing quality care to the transgender community as well as advocating for HIV-positive patients. Because the LGBT community has historically been medically neglected, I aim to increase awareness of the medical issues facing the community through involvement in medical school curriculum and by encouraging open dialogue with other physicians.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Is the 'Not Gay No More' Guy for Real?
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Federal Judge Rules for Marriage Equality in Arkansas
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did