Meet the 2011 Point Scholars
BY Advocate.com Editors
June 08 2011 2:30 AM ET
- from Los Angeles
- pursuing an MD at the University of California, Davis School of Medicine
How do you feel your Point Scholarship will change or help your future?
Point Foundation will provide me with support through mentorship, sharpen my leadership abilities, and foster a space for exploration and discussion of new ideas on ways to improve LGBT healthcare. The foundation brings together a community of activists, academics and advocates that will help me to pursue my goals of increasing access to quality healthcare for LGBT patients.
In conjunction with Point, how do you wish to make difference in the LGBT community?
After completing my medical degree, I hope to work in an urban center providing quality care to the transgender community as well as advocating for HIV-positive patients. Because the LGBT community has historically been medically neglected, I aim to increase awareness of the medical issues facing the community through involvement in medical school curriculum and by encouraging open dialogue with other physicians.
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates?
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Style Model Watch: Learn How To Charm The Camera With Marc Buckner 7 min 59 sec ago
- Election Is The GOP Discriminating Against Its Gay Candidates? 41 min 46 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Queer Cruise Excursion? 44 min 40 sec ago
- Military Louisiana National Guard Will Extend Partner Benefits 55 min 11 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor 56 min 34 sec ago
- Election Chris Christie Gets Heat for Backing Oklahoma's Governor 1 hour 2 min ago
- Women WATCH: Taylor Schilling and Lizzy Caplan in Variety Roundtable 1 hour 7 min ago