Montana High Court: Revise Domestic-Partnership Case
BY Trudy Ring
December 20 2012 8:43 PM ET
The Montana Supreme Court has sent a case on domestic-partnership rights back to a lower court, telling plaintiffs their argument is too broad and must be narrowed.
The Montana chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union had sued the state in 2010 on behalf of six same-sex couples, saying the denial of inheritance rights, tax benefits, medical decision-making power, and other rights violated constitutional guarantees of equal protection under the law. The ACLU asked the Supreme Court to grant a declaratory judgment to that effect.
In a 4-3 ruling issued Monday, the court said that request was too sweeping and would create uncertainty among state legislators, and therefore ordered the plaintiffs to identify specific laws that discriminate against gay couples and take those arguments to the trial court.
“It’s a detour. It’s not a defeat,” ACLU legal director Jon Ellingson told the Missoula Independent. He said the organization has “some work to do to decide strategically which [statutes] we think best illustrate the injustice of the disparate treatment.”
Justice James Nelson wrote a dissent in the case, saying, “The notion that they must ‘specifically identify’ and ‘specifically analyze’ each of the ‘innumerable’ statutes is, in reality, nothing more than a straw-man argument that the Attorney General has invented, and this Court has adopted, to avoid a socially divisive issue.” He also said, “I have never disagreed more strongly with the Court” than in this case and that the decision “wrongly deprives an abused minority [of] their civil rights.”
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Comedy WATCH: Ben Affleck's Ex-Gay Camp Counselor Says 'Hetero Is Better, Yo!' 3 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Pro-Marriage Equality Ill. Republican Won't Seek State Party Chairmanship 23 min 3 sec ago
- Women Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship 29 min 7 sec ago
- Theater What Does Jane Lynch Have in Common with Miss Hannigan, Her Role in Broadway's Annie? 35 min 41 sec ago
- Women Chely Wright and Lauren Blitzer Welcome Twins 39 min 41 sec ago
- Health News Calcium Bad, Cinnamon Good, PreP Fails: Baffling Health News 1 hour 8 min ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels Coming Out HIV-Positive in the Comic Book Store 1 hour 11 min ago