It's Official: President Obama Proclaims Pride Month
BY Trudy Ring
June 01 2012 6:58 PM ET
For the fourth year in a row, President Obama has officially declared June LGBT Pride Month.
The president’s proclamation, released today, touts his administration’s LGBT rights accomplishments, such as repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” passage of comprehensive hate-crimes legislation, and expansion of hospital visitation rights for same-sex partners. It also notes that there is much work still to be done.
“This month, as we reflect on how far we have come and how far we have yet to go, let us recall that the progress we have made is built on the words and deeds of ordinary Americans,” the proclamation reads in part. “Let us pay tribute to those who came before us, and those who continue their work today; and let us rededicate ourselves to a task that is unending — the pursuit of a Nation where all are equal, and all have the full and unfettered opportunity to pursue happiness and live openly and freely.” He also notes, “I personally believe in marriage equality for same-sex couples.”
Watch video of the president below, and read the full proclamation on the next page.
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: State Versus Federal Law
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Media Edie Windsor is No. 3 on Time's Person of Year Shortlist 1 hour 1 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM