It's Official: President Obama Proclaims Pride Month
BY Trudy Ring
June 01 2012 7:58 PM ET
For the fourth year in a row, President Obama has officially declared June LGBT Pride Month.
The president’s proclamation, released today, touts his administration’s LGBT rights accomplishments, such as repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” passage of comprehensive hate-crimes legislation, and expansion of hospital visitation rights for same-sex partners. It also notes that there is much work still to be done.
“This month, as we reflect on how far we have come and how far we have yet to go, let us recall that the progress we have made is built on the words and deeds of ordinary Americans,” the proclamation reads in part. “Let us pay tribute to those who came before us, and those who continue their work today; and let us rededicate ourselves to a task that is unending — the pursuit of a Nation where all are equal, and all have the full and unfettered opportunity to pursue happiness and live openly and freely.” He also notes, “I personally believe in marriage equality for same-sex couples.”
Watch video of the president below, and read the full proclamation on the next page.
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Op-ed: In Defense of Jared Leto
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 53 min 4 sec ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 57 min 31 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 2 hours 12 min ago
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM