Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
5. First Sitting Cabinet Secretary Addresses a Trans Event
As another symbol of the growing power of trans people, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan became the first sitting Cabinet secretary to attend and keynote a transgender function. His remarks emphasized the need for protections for trans people and their families in housing programs. In an interview later that evening, Secretary Donovan became the highest ranking U.S. government official to express support for marriage equality.
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- WATCH: Gay Dream Team of Michael Urie, Randy Harrison in Such Good People
- Fateful Typo Discovered in Ky Peterson's Sentencing
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House