Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
5. First Sitting Cabinet Secretary Addresses a Trans Event
As another symbol of the growing power of trans people, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan became the first sitting Cabinet secretary to attend and keynote a transgender function. His remarks emphasized the need for protections for trans people and their families in housing programs. In an interview later that evening, Secretary Donovan became the highest ranking U.S. government official to express support for marriage equality.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence?
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Schumer: The Reason We Excluded Gays Offers 'Little Comfort' 24 min 57 sec ago
- World News PHOTOS: Startling Response to Right-Winger's Suicide in Notre Dame 54 min 25 sec ago
- Crime Does Expansion of Rights Also Expand Antigay Violence? 1 hour 46 min ago
- Film New Man Of Steel and Wolverine Trailers Debut 9:03 AM
- Travel Top 10 Ways to Score and Upgrade on Your Next Flight 8:27 AM
- Travel A Perfect Day in Rio 7:59 AM
- Marriage Equality Recalls of Pro-Marriage Equality Lawmakers Quashed in Minnesota 5:30 AM