Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
5. First Sitting Cabinet Secretary Addresses a Trans Event
As another symbol of the growing power of trans people, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan became the first sitting Cabinet secretary to attend and keynote a transgender function. His remarks emphasized the need for protections for trans people and their families in housing programs. In an interview later that evening, Secretary Donovan became the highest ranking U.S. government official to express support for marriage equality.
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word
- Michigan Woman Sues Planet Fitness Over Trans-Inclusive Locker Room
- 12 Celebrities Who Lovingly Embrace Their LGBT Children