Op-ed: 14 Reasons That Made 2011 Great for Trans People
BY Advocate Contributors
December 28 2011 8:10 PM ET
5. First Sitting Cabinet Secretary Addresses a Trans Event
As another symbol of the growing power of trans people, U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Shaun Donovan became the first sitting Cabinet secretary to attend and keynote a transgender function. His remarks emphasized the need for protections for trans people and their families in housing programs. In an interview later that evening, Secretary Donovan became the highest ranking U.S. government official to express support for marriage equality.
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- WATCH: Ariz. High School Throws Out Ballots for Lesbian Homecoming Couple
- Holder's Final Vow to Supreme Court: Uphold Marriage Equality