Watch: Lawmakers Cheer As Ugandan President Declares War on Homosexuals
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 17 2014 2:28 PM ET
Apparently the president of Uganda, Yoweri Museveni, wasn't coming around to our side when he admonished his Parliament last year for passing the Anti-Homosexuality Bill without the required quorum and inferred that he would not sign it, reports David Badash in The New Civil Rights Movement. At his national party retreat last week, Museveni told lawmakers that he will sign the bill, adding, “We shall have a war with the homosexual lobby, in the world, backed by these people and you.”
Captured on video, that line caught the crowd's attention as they all stood to applaud and cheer Museveni's declaration of war, which TV personality Piers Morgan has aptly dubbed “gay apartheid.”
According to Badash, the Anti-Homosexuality Bill "mandates jail sentences — including life in prison — for those accused of having sex with members of their own gender, and for those who know LGBT people but do not report them to authorities. Jail is also mandated for those who support LGBT civil rights and the LGBT community."
Previously Uganda's president had said he wouldn't sign the bill unless scientists could confirm for him that homosexuality was not genetic or biological, but a deviant behavior. Apparently they did.
If you have trouble viewing the video (above), see it on YouTube.com.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature
- S.C. House Approves Budget Cuts to Colleges With LGBT Curricula
- Television First Look: OITNB Season 2 4 min 48 sec ago
- Transgender 'Tranny Awards' Changes Its Name, Not Its Nature 35 min 1 sec ago
- Love and Sex WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time 37 min 35 sec ago
- Women Why You Need to See Demi Lovato's Neon Lights Tour STAT 43 min 48 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Young Repubs Express Big Support for Marriage Equality 1 hour 3 min ago
- Television Teen Wolf Adds Gay Character, Expands Lacrosse Team 1 hour 7 min ago
- Women 5 Reasons to Watch CW's Arrow and 'Quiver!' 1 hour 7 min ago