Fab or Fail? 2013's Cultural Ups and Downs
BY Michelle Garcia
December 20 2013 11:13 AM ET
LESBIANS WHO WENT VIRAL
Fabulous: Poetry Slam Winner
Denice Frohman edged out 11 other finalists to take first place at the 2013 Women of the World Poetry Slam with her rousing spoken-word performance of “Dear Straight People.” The video of her performing the poem, which touched on feeling apprehensive about showing affection in public, and common awkward questions straight people pose to LGBT people, went viral.
Fail: Waitress Receipt Hoax
The country rallied behind a lesbian waitress who said she was handed a receipt from a family she had just waited on reading, "I'm sorry, but I cannot tip because I don't agree with your lifestyle and how you live your life." Dayna Morales, a server at Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, N.J., received a flood of cash from sympathetic people who heard the story, which spread online quickly. The family she served, however, came forward with their copy of the receipt, which did not include the handwritten note but instead,an $18 tip. They corroborated the charge with a copy of their credit card statement. Morales was later let go from her job at the restaurant.
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Huge Ratings Are In for Bruce Jenner Interview