Kentucky Church Cuts Ties with Boy Scouts Over Gay Youth
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 29 2013 12:32 PM ET
An evangelical church in Louisville, Ky., will cease its sponsorship of a local Boy Scout troop over the Boy Scouts of America's recent decision to admit openly gay youth, but continue barring participation by gay or lesbian adults.
The executive pastor at Southeast Christian Church told the Louisville Courier-Journal that the organization has become too polarizing. Church leaders began discussing the issue around the same time the BSA announced it would reconsider its long-standing ban on "open or avowed homosexuals" last summer.
After much debate, church elders decided that supporting the local Boy Scouts was a step too far. Hester said the policy change was a "catalyst" for the church's decision, but wasn't the only issue driving the decision.
"Truly for us it's a logical decision," pastor Tim Hester told the Journal. "We cannot be distracted from the mission God has called us to… We want everyone, including ourselves, to live by biblical standards."
Between Boy Scout Troop and Cub Scout Pack 212, roughly 300 families participate in Scouting events held at the church, according to the Journal. The Scouts have until the end of the year to find a new meeting location.
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 3 min 5 sec ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 11 min 51 sec ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 1 hour 1 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Miami's Winter Party Combines Skin, Philanthropy 1 hour 32 min ago
- Television Fox's Brooklyn Nine-Nine Quietly Breaks Ground 1 hour 38 min ago
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Ushering in a New Year Money Minute 2 hours 39 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Opera Director Gerard Mortier Dies at 70 2 hours 53 min ago