BY Advocate Contributors
November 26 2009 12:00 AM ET
What catches your eye?
Another eye ... an "off" scene ... a bad guy seducing someone ... animals ... a beautiful guy in an ugly place ... smell of sex.
How do you choose your subjects?
They need to represent freedom. When my subject is a guy, he’s probably a lover or a friend to be. If it is an object, it’s usually something that attracted me by being incorrect or out of place.
How do you describe your work?
Polemic ... sometimes disturbing ... open-minded ... makes people think about their own limits, to make them put in a little work themselves. My work is active. It's alive.
What makes a good photograph to you?
An image that I will remember for the rest of my life ... something that I want to own.
Who are your favorite artists? And why?
I'm not sure if I have a favorite artist. I appreciate art as an expression of the moment we live. Every period in our history has amazing artists who we can look at today as symbols of their time.
I do like when an artist gives us a key to open new doors in our minds. We, as artists, are the ones that should guide other people to new understandings.
To mention a few: Felix Gonzalez-Torres ... Duane Michals ... Sebastião Salgado ... Ruven Afanador. They all inspire me with the intensity of their images and their messages.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 4:00 AM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM