In the Galleries: Queer Threads
BY Christopher Harrity
January 13 2014 5:00 AM ET
"Queer Threads: Crafting Identity and Community," an international group show at the Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art curated by John Chaich, explores notions of aspiration, socialization, and representation within the gay and lesbian community, through artists employing thread-based craft materials, techniques, and processes.
While many of these artists are internationally recognized in the craft and art communities, this exhibition marks the first time these works have been shown together to specifically highlight their personal relationship to their own sexuality and to the gay and lesbian community. Composed of a mix of well-established and emerging talent from across the United States as well as Argentina, Canada, and South Africa, this exhibition will feature artists Chris Bogia (New York), Chiachio & Giannone (Argentina), Liz Collins (New York), Pierre Fouche (South Africa), James Gobel (California), Jesse Harrod (Virginia), Larry Krone (New York), Allyson Mitchell (Canada), Sheila Pepe (New York), L. J. Roberts (New York), Nathan Vincent (New York), and more.
"Queer Threads: Crafting Identity and Community"
Exhibition dates: January 17 to March 16, 2014
Opening Reception: January 17, 2014 6-8 pm
Nathan Vincent, Locker Room (vertical), 2011, yarn, 144 x 228 ft. Courtesy of the artist. Photo: Stephen Miller.
Nathan Vincent, Locker Room (detail), 2011, yarn, 144 x 228 in. Courtesy of the artist. Photo: Stephen Miller.
Click through for more images from the exhibit >>>
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM