Legendary Lovers: Chiron and Achilles
BY Christopher Harrity
February 01 2014 9:00 AM ET
Pompeo Batoni, Thetis Confiding the Education of Achilles to the Centaur Chiron, 1760
Pompeo Batoni, Thetis Takes Achilles from the Centaur Chiron, 1760
The two paintings above show Achilles as he meets the Cetaur Chiron for the first time (top) and as the wistful Chiron surrenders his young charge, now a young man, to his mother's care — as well as that of some comely young nymphs and serpent men —after his education.
- Facebook Apologizes for 'Real Name' Policy
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- 5 Times the U.N. Resolved, Then Failed, to End Homophobia Worldwide