Legendary Lovers: Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas
BY Christopher Harrity
February 10 2014 5:00 AM ET
The women became a symbol of a happily "married" lesbian couple for many. Volumes of books about their lives continue to reveal the complexity of their relationship. Films and plays have been made depicting them.
Below a clip from the 1987 film Waiting for the Moon with Linda Basset as Stein and Linda Hunt as Toklas.
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- WATCH: Stonewall Movie Drops First Trailer
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: Think NOM Is Dead? Think Again