Legendary Lovers: Gertrude Stein and Alice B. Toklas
BY Christopher Harrity
February 10 2014 5:00 AM ET
The women became a symbol of a happily "married" lesbian couple for many. Volumes of books about their lives continue to reveal the complexity of their relationship. Films and plays have been made depicting them.
Below a clip from the 1987 film Waiting for the Moon with Linda Basset as Stein and Linda Hunt as Toklas.
- #TBT: Hollywood Hunks Laid Bare: 1920s-1930s
- Thousands Rally in S.C. to 'Stand With God' Against Marriage Equality
- PHOTOS: Equality Advocates Picket Antigay Kentucky Clerk
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- WATCH: Is CNN Coverage of Virginia Gunman Homophobic?
- Op-ed: Whither Gay Provincetown?