In the Galleries: Wes Hempel
BY Christopher Harrity
February 19 2014 5:00 AM ET
Hope and Fear, 2013, oil on canvas, 20 x 16 inches
Wes Hempel has established himself as an accomplished technician and witty social commentator with his riffs on classic painting styles and American hunks. Sure, the guys are great, but look closely at the clouds and foliage painted in neoclassical style, Dutch golden age landscapes, and more. Hempel's reimagining of the past is both thought-provoking and wonderfully pleasing. See our original portfolio of his work here.
Wes Hempel New Painintgs
George Billis Gallery
2716 S. La Cienega Blvd.
Los Angeles, Calif. 90034
February 22 - March 29, 2014
Artist Reception: Saturday, March 1, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- EXCLUSIVE: Watch the Official Trailer for 54: The Director's Cut
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Op-ed: Let's Keep the Momentum Going After Win in Ireland