In the Galleries: Wes Hempel
BY Christopher Harrity
February 19 2014 5:00 AM ET
Hope and Fear, 2013, oil on canvas, 20 x 16 inches
Wes Hempel has established himself as an accomplished technician and witty social commentator with his riffs on classic painting styles and American hunks. Sure, the guys are great, but look closely at the clouds and foliage painted in neoclassical style, Dutch golden age landscapes, and more. Hempel's reimagining of the past is both thought-provoking and wonderfully pleasing. See our original portfolio of his work here.
Wes Hempel New Painintgs
George Billis Gallery
2716 S. La Cienega Blvd.
Los Angeles, Calif. 90034
February 22 - March 29, 2014
Artist Reception: Saturday, March 1, 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- S.C. Congressional Candidate: Beware of Gay 'Gremlins'