Artist Spotlight: Jamil Hellu
BY Christopher Harrity
June 08 2013 4:00 AM ET
With Jamil Hellu's series “Guardians of the Golden Gate,” he invites his subjects to create fictitious superhero characters, providing them the opportunity to express themselves led by their own imagination. By putting together specific costumes, each individual constructs a unique character inspired by personal ideas around mythology and archetypal superheroes.
This work is about creativity and role-playing as much as it is about manifesting interpretations of identity, particularly as it relates to self-representation in photography.
As each individual invents a distinctive character to be photographed, the camera becomes an instrument of escapism, offering people to opportunity to create their own fantasy self.
Click through from more of Hellu's Guardians.
- WATCH: 'Christian' Family's Terrifying Response to Son Coming Out
- WATCH: Dr. Drew Interviews Gay Teen Attacked by Christian Family
- Op-ed: This Is What Happens When a Generation Is Raised on LGBT Visibility
- Hot Sheet: Young, Cute, Dead
- Never Say This to Gay Parents
- 11 Best Moments From the Marriage Argument Everyone's Talking About