Artist Spotlight: Sara Swaty
BY Christopher Harrity
September 07 2013 3:00 AM ET
"I think gender is a continuum. We are both male and female at the same time — we have male and female characteristics, desires, and sometimes male and female body parts. We dress like both, make love like both, and want both as partners and as role models. Some are closer to one side or the other on the continuum, but everyone is both genders — whether they say it or believe it or want it or accept it or not.
"I am bisexual, a male in form. I love men and women. I shave everything because it frees me from a layer of masculine identity so that I can be closer to my mixed-gender self. I am proud and happy to be a man and would not change my body parts or core features that identify me. I like to feel part of my feminine side, and shaving everything makes me feel a little bit that way. It's about how I feel about myself, and shaving is an outward sign of an internal feeling."
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular 2 hours 40 min ago
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn 5:38 PM