Artist Spotlight: Cobi Moules
BY Christopher Harrity
October 12 2013 4:00 AM ET
Driven by the desire for adventure and discovery, Cobi Moules set out across America not only to explore the country's natural beauty and diversity but also to reflect upon his position within it. Moules's study of the grand American landscape quickly conjures up images and iconography from a variety of historical landscape paintings, most notably mid-19th-century American landscape paintings.
Loosely utilizing the Hudson River School as a visual point of departure, Moules metaphorically utilizes the landscape as a stand-in for his own Christian upbringing. "Bois Just Wanna Have Fun" is a synthesis of wanderlust and raison d'être, where he creates a fantasy world in which only he exists.
Moules says, "I see a number of ideological links between their [Hudson River School] works and a specific current American Christian culture that was an integral part of my formative years; particularly in regards to ideas of purity and the honor of sacrificing one's selfhood for the glory of God. As a queer and transgender person, I seek to renegotiate my relationship with this upbringing and the act of being told I am 'unnatural' through such a pointed Christian lens."
"Bois Just Wanna Have Fun"
October 10 – November 9, 2013
Lyons Wier Gallery
542 W. 24th St., New York, NY 10011
Avalanche Lake, 2012
For more of Cobi Moules's work, click through the following pages >>>
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 1 hour 53 min ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM