Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
BY Christopher Harrity
August 16 2014 3:00 AM ET
Si Je T’aime Prends Garde à Toi (Study for Icon for a New Empire)
36" x 24" — 2007
acrylic on canvas
installation — 2007
The Triumph of Mischief
Tall Tails is an installation with sound (music) that references Monkman’s performance work. Fashion, as a signifier of cultural change, is a recurring theme Monkman explores in various media. The costume on the mannequin is one of three successively larger and more outlandish headresses worn by Monkman (as Miss Chief) during the performance Séance.
Right-click to download "Dance to Miss Chief (Dwayne Minard Cellout Remix).mp3"
Photo: Walter Willems
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'