Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
BY Christopher Harrity
August 16 2014 4:00 AM ET
Si Je T’aime Prends Garde à Toi (Study for Icon for a New Empire)
36" x 24" — 2007
acrylic on canvas
installation — 2007
The Triumph of Mischief
Tall Tails is an installation with sound (music) that references Monkman’s performance work. Fashion, as a signifier of cultural change, is a recurring theme Monkman explores in various media. The costume on the mannequin is one of three successively larger and more outlandish headresses worn by Monkman (as Miss Chief) during the performance Séance.
Right-click to download "Dance to Miss Chief (Dwayne Minard Cellout Remix).mp3"
Photo: Walter Willems
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- Op-ed: Michfest's Founder Chose to Shut Down Rather Than Change With the Times
- Ted Cruz/OUT NYC Fallout: Broadway Cares Cancels Benefit at Hotel
- Bruce Jenner Tells All Tonight
- Gay High-Schooler Gets Date for Prom — With Straight Best Friend
- AIDS Org. Made Men Over 40 Pay to Attend Pool Party