Advocate Bookshelf: Best Non-Fiction Transgender Books
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 19 2011 7:30 PM ET
Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity ($11, Seal)
Not just a memoir, Julia Serano's Whipping Girl is more like a manifesto by the transgender lesbian activist and professional biologist. This 2007 book is a collection of experiences around Serano's transition and a growing awareness that a widespread cultural abhorrence of femininity shapes our attitudes to towards transgender women.
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- Read This Mich. Democrat's Epic Response to Antigay Group's 'Pile of Excrement'
- California Becomes First State to Ban Gay, Trans 'Panic' Defenses
- The New 'Republicans Are People Too' Twitter Campaign Is An Epic Fail
- Bible-Quoting Man Shoots Couple With BB Gun Outside Minneapolis Gay Bar
- Outrage After Major Minn. Paper Sells Transphobic Coalition Full-Page Ad