Advocate Bookshelf: Best Non-Fiction Transgender Books
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 19 2011 7:30 PM ET
Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity ($11, Seal)
Not just a memoir, Julia Serano's Whipping Girl is more like a manifesto by the transgender lesbian activist and professional biologist. This 2007 book is a collection of experiences around Serano's transition and a growing awareness that a widespread cultural abhorrence of femininity shapes our attitudes to towards transgender women.
- Backlash Continues: Angie's List Cancels Indiana Expansion
- Time to #BoycottIndiana? Celebs Blow Up Social Media
- After Indiana, 23 More States Could Pass Discrimination Bills
- Is It Time for These Indiana Events to Relocate?
- WATCH: StoryCorps Founder Discuss Gay Dad in Inspiring TED Talk
- 6 Bad Behaviors for HIV-Positive People