Advocate Bookshelf: Best Non-Fiction Transgender Books
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 19 2011 7:30 PM ET
Whipping Girl: A Transsexual Woman on Sexism and the Scapegoating of Femininity ($11, Seal)
Not just a memoir, Julia Serano's Whipping Girl is more like a manifesto by the transgender lesbian activist and professional biologist. This 2007 book is a collection of experiences around Serano's transition and a growing awareness that a widespread cultural abhorrence of femininity shapes our attitudes to towards transgender women.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- PHOTOS: New Yorkers Combat Violence With Protest
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader 32 min 51 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? 37 min 14 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kathy Griffin Calls for Suze Orman for President! 2 hours 8 min ago
- Marriage Equality Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K. 2 hours 11 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Stars Come Out for the LA Gay and Lesbian Center's 'An Evening with Women' 2 hours 33 min ago
- Video Meet the Delicious Diet Dr Pepper Dude 2 hours 37 min ago
- Women INTERVIEW: Vicci Martinez Speaks her Truth 6:34 PM