Kids DVDs for Queer Adults
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 21 2013 6:00 AM ET
It's here, it's queer, and it's got Boo Boo Bear! This spin-off from the smash hit ABC Saturday Superstar Movie (remember those?) entitled Yogi's Ark Lark, has Yogi and his pals confronting the evils of the era with villains as Lotta Litter, Gossipy Witch, Mr. Bigot, and the Sheik of Selfishness. Do I even need to explain the inherent LGBT-ness of it all? Yogi's younger bow-tie wearing, moral compass sporting sidekick, Boo Boo Bear, is there along with a queerish crew of other toon superstars including Huckleberry Hound, Snagglepuss, Quick Draw McGraw, Baba Looey, Atom Ant, Secret Squirrel, Morocco Mole, Wally Gator, Squiddly Diddley, Augie Doggy, Doggy Daddy, Touché Turtle, Peter Potamus, and Magilla Gorilla. There's hardly one of them that isn't sort of gay when you listen to the dialogue or read between the scenes. Also on this two-disc, 16 episode collection is the 1973 film that started it: Yogi’s Ark Lark.
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men