4 LGBT-Focused Oscar Acceptance Speeches
BY Kevin OKeeffe
February 27 2014 6:00 AM ET
Barring a freak change in voting patterns, Jared Leto will become an Academy Award-winning actor come Sunday evening. To some, the impending news may be stunning (My So-Called Life’s Jordan Catalano is going to win an Oscar!). For others, a more pressing concern is Leto's acceptance speech.
Leto has come under fire on multiple occasions and for different reasons this Oscar season, including those questioning why he was cast as Dallas Buyers Club's Rayon instead of a trans actress, but on the whole, criticism was loudest about his award acceptance speeches. His Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor brought the biggest flare up.
This shouldn't be difficult to fix. Several actors have proven that an Oscar speech can be a major LGBT moment — and considering the award is for playing a trans character, some would argue it needs to be such a moment.
The past offers a few standout LGBT-focused speeches. Since we’re in the Oscar mood anyway, let’s take a look at them, from Swank to Hanks and a whole lot of Milk.
Hilary Swank, Boys Don’t Cry, Best Actress (1999)
Swank wasn’t the first to play an LGBT character, nor the first to reference being inspired by an LGBT person in an acceptance speech. She was, however, the first to speak so openly about transgender rights in her tribute to Brandon Teena, the murdered transgender man who she played in Kimberly Peirce’s Boys Don’t Cry. This speech is more often remembered for Swank forgetting to thank then-husband Chad Lowe — she made it up to him when she won a second Oscar for Million Dollar Baby. But Swank deserves a place in the great acceptance speech canon for being bold, not only as an actress, but as an award winner.
- World World Bank President Withdraws From Panel on 'Economic Impact of Homophobia' 21 min 42 sec ago
- Transgender Google's International Women's Day Doodle Includes Trans Women 27 min 49 sec ago
- Sports College Swimmer Comes Out to Religious Mom 47 min 26 sec ago
- Media CNN to Test New Don Lemon Prime-Time Show 1 hour 1 min ago
- Religion WATCH: Christian Pastors Involved in African LGBT Issues — But Not How You May Think 1 hour 17 min ago
- Love and Sex Single, Fun, Fit, and 50 1 hour 29 min ago
- Travel Travelogue: News and Notes from Philly, San Diego and More 1 hour 46 min ago