Azealia Banks Promotes New Video, Suddenly Can't Stop Using Antigay Slur
BY Lucas Grindley
February 16 2013 10:19 AM ET
Bisexual rapper Azealia Banks has released a new song and music video and is once again creating headlines for calling people "faggot."
Banks created a remix of the current viral sensation, "Harlem Shake," without permission from the artist who created it, Baauer. He doesn't like that she raps over the beat. They got into a Twitter feud that included her conclusion: "you guys are all faggoots.... May you drown in faggotry."
The last time bisexual rapper used a gay slur on Twitter to attack out gossip blogger Perez Hilton, she got a stern lecture from the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, and a rash of backlash in tweets from fans. Then her album sales went up by 18%, according to figures from Billboard.
"I Guess I'm the first Homophobic Homo," Banks chided people on Twitter, included Hilton, who jumped into the fray.
Then Banks tried to explain her use of the word as forward-thinking, instead of backward.
"Here we go again. Everyone pretending to be so shocked and moved by the word faggot," she wrote. "It's like society is so bored with itself it needs to hold on to these outdated rules of what you can say and cannot say. Why has society accepted 'nigger' As a colloquialism ... But will not accept "faggot"? Everyones always acting like its fucking 1905 in this bitch."
That quote is unedited and comes from a string of tweets. Then she mocked Baauer and anyone else bothered by her use of the antigay slur.
"Faggot means coward, liar, backstabber……," she wrote. "Perez tries to get every gay person all riled up when the only faggot I see ........ is him. what a baby lololol.. Waaaaaaah Azealia called me a faggott :(((((((((( LMAOOO"
Mixed among Banks' slurs are repeated tweets promoting her new video. Watch it below.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM