One in a Million
BY Dan Avery
May 03 2009 11:00 PM ET
We can't divulge whom Grangier chose to go out with, but he says his decision wasn't based on firm abs or a bubble butt. "We had great conversations, and that's what's really important to me," he says. "Living in multiple cities is taxing -- I need a man who understands that's just a part of who I am."
But is it even possible to make a love connection when a television crew is trailing you? As a high-level publicist, Grangier is used to being around cameras, but he says he bristles at being the center of attention: "I've taken the Myers-Briggs test five times -- I'm an introvert." Eventually, though, he learned to ignore the cameras.
Stanger is a third-generation matchmaker with more than a decade of experience, but she admits working with a gay man required thinking outside the box.
"I tried to approach it the same way I do all my clients, but I realized that gay men especially want to get the sex out of the way quickly and often whip out their pickle before they even share a drink," the bosomy yenta says with her trademark candor. "Getting them into courtship versus tasting the candy was the hardest thing to curb."
Grangier says he had to school Stanger a bit as well. "Patti put me in a box, like most straights do, about how we spend our time and what we're about," he says. "I had to spend some time helping her recognize that some gay men are fems, some are clubbers, and some are homebodies. We're not monolithic. "
She may be a novice to same-sex love, but Stanger's heart is surely in the right place. "I believe, gay or straight, everyone deserves love," the veteran cupid says. "I was horrified of Prop. 8 passing in California and wanted to take a stand, as I believe in gay marriage and gay love."
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- These Couples Prove Love Is Love
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 0 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 46 min 56 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 50 min 56 sec ago
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2:49 PM