One in a Million
BY Dan Avery
May 04 2009 12:00 AM ET
We can't divulge whom Grangier chose to go out with, but he says his decision wasn't based on firm abs or a bubble butt. "We had great conversations, and that's what's really important to me," he says. "Living in multiple cities is taxing -- I need a man who understands that's just a part of who I am."
But is it even possible to make a love connection when a television crew is trailing you? As a high-level publicist, Grangier is used to being around cameras, but he says he bristles at being the center of attention: "I've taken the Myers-Briggs test five times -- I'm an introvert." Eventually, though, he learned to ignore the cameras.
Stanger is a third-generation matchmaker with more than a decade of experience, but she admits working with a gay man required thinking outside the box.
"I tried to approach it the same way I do all my clients, but I realized that gay men especially want to get the sex out of the way quickly and often whip out their pickle before they even share a drink," the bosomy yenta says with her trademark candor. "Getting them into courtship versus tasting the candy was the hardest thing to curb."
Grangier says he had to school Stanger a bit as well. "Patti put me in a box, like most straights do, about how we spend our time and what we're about," he says. "I had to spend some time helping her recognize that some gay men are fems, some are clubbers, and some are homebodies. We're not monolithic. "
She may be a novice to same-sex love, but Stanger's heart is surely in the right place. "I believe, gay or straight, everyone deserves love," the veteran cupid says. "I was horrified of Prop. 8 passing in California and wanted to take a stand, as I believe in gay marriage and gay love."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 29 min 16 sec ago
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 49 min 14 sec ago
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 2 hours 6 min ago
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM
- Current Issue Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You 4:00 AM
- Current Issue The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue 4:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM