BY Dan Avery
September 13 2009 11:00 PM ET
Matt Fielding, the token gay on the original Melrose Place, was something of a pyrrhic victory for LGBT viewers. Finally, TV had a series regular who was out and proud and managed to go seven seasons without killing anyone or turning straight. But he was about as exciting as warm milk -- and half as sexy.
For the revamped Melrose, producers decided they wanted a gay character with a little bite. Enter Caleb Brewer, a scotch-swilling, cigar-chomping man’s man who just happens to dig other dudes. Advocate.com sat down with Victor Webster, a former Playgirl model and star of the cult TV series Mutant X, about visiting the Place the second time around and whether gays in soaps are here to stay.
Victor Webster: He’s a publicist at the firm Ella, one of the housemates, works at. I think he first appears in the second episode. Caleb is Ella’s new boss and he creates a certain amount of havoc in her life. I’m on her all the time, but I want the best from her. Ella is very tough too, a ballsy go-getter. So there’s a certain amount of tension but also some good chemistry.
Is Caleb a series regular?
Well, I was brought on for a few episodes, but the reaction has been really positive, so there’s a good chance the character will be expanded.
Will he be interacting with other characters or moving into the apartment building?
[Laughs] Ah, they’d chomp my balls off if I told you that.
How much are you like Caleb?
I’m a lot like him. I work hard and love playing sports. I think I challenge others and expect a lot from them. I think he’s a little harsher, though.
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 1 hour 16 min ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM