One Million Moms Go After Gay NBC Show The New Normal
BY Michelle Garcia
July 21 2012 12:06 PM ET
The coalition of One Million Moms has a new target.
The group, which protested companies like Kraft/Nabisco and JCPenney for being gay allies, is now leading the charge against Ryan Murphy's highly anticipated sitcom The New Normal. The show features a gay couple, played by Andrew Rannels and Justin Bartha, who attempt to have a child with a surrogate, played by Georgia King.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, the group claims to be the reason behind the cancellation of last year's low-rated NBC drama The Playboy Club.
"Millions of Americans strongly believe that marriage should only be between one man and one woman," the group writes on its website. "NBC's The New Normal is attempting to desensitize America and our children. It is the opposite of how families are designed and created. You cannot recreate the biological wheel."
Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation president Herndon Graddick said the group is looking to simply stir up a controversy.
"From hit shows like Glee to Modern Family," he said, "it's clear that Americans today don't care whether their favorite TV characters are straight or gay. We now live in a culture where gay people are not only a common part of our society but where gay characters are also applauded by both TV critics and audiences alike."
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM