Smash, Glee, and Work It: How Did the TV Networks Rank on LGBT Content?
BY Michelle Garcia
August 30 2012 8:40 AM ET
NBC - "Adequate"
1072 Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
198.5 LGBT-Inclusive Hours (19% or 162 gay, 61 lesbian, 30 bisexual, and two transgender)
Inclusive shows: Celebrity Apprentice, Fashion Star, Whitney, Love Bites, The Office, 30 Rock, Smash, America's Got Talent, Who Do You Think You Are, American Giving, Harry's Law, Prime Suspect, The Playboy Club
Room for Improvement: Several of the dramas, such as Prime Suspect, Harry's Law, and The Playboy Club, have been canceled, cutting down on LGBT-inclusive hours. However, one of the shining spots for the network is the upcoming The New Normal, about a gay couple starting a family with the help of a surrogate. A drama, Chicago Fire, will include a lesbian supporting character. Many of the LGBT portrayals in NBC programming were for supporting or onetime roles, so GLAAD recommends trying to feature more LGBT characters in substantial roles.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM