Smash, Glee, and Work It: How Did the TV Networks Rank on LGBT Content?
BY Michelle Garcia
August 30 2012 7:40 AM ET
NBC - "Adequate"
1072 Total Hours of Prime-Time Programming
198.5 LGBT-Inclusive Hours (19% or 162 gay, 61 lesbian, 30 bisexual, and two transgender)
Inclusive shows: Celebrity Apprentice, Fashion Star, Whitney, Love Bites, The Office, 30 Rock, Smash, America's Got Talent, Who Do You Think You Are, American Giving, Harry's Law, Prime Suspect, The Playboy Club
Room for Improvement: Several of the dramas, such as Prime Suspect, Harry's Law, and The Playboy Club, have been canceled, cutting down on LGBT-inclusive hours. However, one of the shining spots for the network is the upcoming The New Normal, about a gay couple starting a family with the help of a surrogate. A drama, Chicago Fire, will include a lesbian supporting character. Many of the LGBT portrayals in NBC programming were for supporting or onetime roles, so GLAAD recommends trying to feature more LGBT characters in substantial roles.
- Year in Review Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013 2 hours 16 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 12 Excellent Gifts for Those Who Indulge 4:19 AM
- Women WATCH: Gaga & Xtina's Amazing '70s-era Lesbian Duet of "Do What U Want!" 2:04 AM
- Marriage Equality NOH8 Founders Adam Bouska & Jeff Parshley on Campaign's 5th Anniversary December 17 2013 9:23 PM
- Travel What's Hot in England for 2014 December 17 2013 8:32 PM
- Women WATCH: Adorable Lesbian Takes on How to Practice the Smells and Sounds of Sex! December 17 2013 8:10 PM
- Politics Obama, Biden Won't Be at Olympics December 17 2013 6:34 PM