WATCH: 10 Here TV Shows That Changed Our View of LGBT Life
BY Daniel Villarreal
May 09 2013 2:30 PM ET
Today, Here TV unveiled its all new YouTube paid subscription channel which allows viewers around the world to access 100 episodes of original programming (with more being added each month) anywhere, anytime, in high definition through TVs, computers, and mobile devices for a monthly or yearly subscription fee.
This year also marks the 10th anniversary of the groundbreaking gay television network Here TV (which is owned by Here Media, the parent company of The Advocate). In that decade, Here TV not only featured contemporary LGBT films and documentaries but also created some great original scripted and reality TV programming with its own uniquely queer and trans sensibilities. So to celebrate this decade of LGBT-focused work, we rounded up 10 Here TV shows that best reflect the network's finest programming and diversity — both in terms of LGBT people and the many styles through which we confront our shared experiences.
1. Dante's Cove
Although we've seen a number of queer horror films released over the years, we'd never seen an entire LGBT horror television series before the 2005 premiere of Dante's Cove.
While the show primarily focuses on Kevin and Toby — a young couple who find themselves imperiled by the island's dark forces — it also featured an entire cast of lesbian, gay, and bisexual characters (many played by fan favorites Jenny Shimizu, Thea Gill, Erin Cummings, Michelle Wolff, and Tracy Scoggins ). There were unabashed love scenes between boys and between girls (think full-frontal) and an evolving storyline that took on witchy ways of life long before American Horror Story: Coven, gaining it a devoted fan base who still clamor for the show to return. (Hint: Rumors have continued to swirl that there may be a sixth season coming up still.)
Below you can watch the trailer for Dante's Cove season 1:
Below you can watch the trailer for Dante's Cove season 3:
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 2 hours 28 min ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 2 hours 41 min ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 3:36 PM
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 3:17 PM
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2:47 PM
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2:41 PM