WATCH: Buddy Cole of Kids in the Hall Probes Russia's Antigay Law
BY Patrick Yacco
February 11 2014 1:35 PM ET
Comedy Central’s The Colbert Report last night included a report by Buddy Cole (portrayed by Kids in the Hall’s Scott Thompson) about the dangers of Russia’s "gay propaganda" law for people traveling to Sochi for the 2014 Winter Olympics. In the piece, Cole interviews U.S. ambassador Dan Baer. As is standard for the satirical news program, the wildly inappropriate questions highlight both the absurdity of the statute and the dangers facing LGBTQ Russians and those attending the festivities.
In the segment, titled "From Russia With Love (But No Gay Stuff)," host Stephen Colbert assigns Cole the job of reporting on Russia’s antigay legislation. After meeting Ambassador Baer, Cole sips martinis and asks, "This law means that if I wear … a rainbow T-shirt, that could get me arrested? Seriously, don’t you think wearing a rainbow shirt should get you arrested? Why not go dressed out a unicorn?" He also asks Baer to judge his "helpful phrases," like "Can you point me to the nearest hardware store?" and "Women? Am I right?"
The piece ends with Cole asking, "I’m ready for Russia, but is Russia ready for me?" It’s doubtful that any country is prepared for a visit from Buddy Cole, but we hope there are more colorful interviews like this in the near future.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen 52 min 2 sec ago
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival 2 hours 15 min ago
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 2 hours 30 min ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 2 hours 47 min ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 6:27 PM
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 6:25 PM
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 5:55 PM