Iowa Supreme Court Judges Booted
BY Michelle Garcia
November 03 2010 1:25 AM ET
All three Iowa supreme court justices who ruled in favor of legalizing marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples have been voted out of office.
Groups including the National Organization for Marriage, the Family Research Council, and the American Family Association launched a successful $1 million campaign against the justices.
The campaign was led by Bob Vander Plaats of Iowa for Freedom.
Vander Plaats originally ran for governor of Iowa on the platform of
eliminating marriage equality, but lost the primary.
An average of 54% of the electorate decided not to retain Supreme Court Chief Justice Marsha Ternus and associate justices Michael J. Streit and David L. Baker according to the Iowa Independent.
The seats can be reappointed by current Governor Chet Culver or incoming Governor Terry Branstad when his term beings in 2011, according to WHO News.
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade 41 min 45 sec ago
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM