Iowa Supreme Court Judges Booted
BY Michelle Garcia
November 03 2010 1:25 AM ET
All three Iowa supreme court justices who ruled in favor of legalizing marriage equality for gay and lesbian couples have been voted out of office.
Groups including the National Organization for Marriage, the Family Research Council, and the American Family Association launched a successful $1 million campaign against the justices.
The campaign was led by Bob Vander Plaats of Iowa for Freedom.
Vander Plaats originally ran for governor of Iowa on the platform of
eliminating marriage equality, but lost the primary.
An average of 54% of the electorate decided not to retain Supreme Court Chief Justice Marsha Ternus and associate justices Michael J. Streit and David L. Baker according to the Iowa Independent.
The seats can be reappointed by current Governor Chet Culver or incoming Governor Terry Branstad when his term beings in 2011, according to WHO News.
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- #TBT: Breaking the Gay Code in the Movies
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Reba McEntire: First Time I Saw a Reba Drag Queen 'It Really Ticked Me Off'
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers