What Is the Media's Role in Pushing for LGBT Rights in Russia?
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 23 2014 5:21 PM ET
Just a few weeks before the world converges in Sochi, Russia for the winter Olympics, the It Gets Better Project brought together several groups to talk about LGBT issues in terms of sports, transgender people, and LGBT youth. One panel, focused on the media and the portrayal of LGBT people in film and television, included GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz, Andrew Rannells of Girls and The Book of Mormon, Jennifer Beals and Janina Gavankar of The L Word, Huffington Post Gay Voices' editor Noah Michelson, and Advocate managing editor Michelle Garcia.
The Google Hangout, moderated by Eric Sasson of The Wall Street Journal, tackled transgender representation in film, the slowly evolving acceptance of LGBT people in some areas, and the role of the media to continue the conversation of LGBT rights in Russia. For other hangouts, check out UprisingOfLove.org.
Watch the hangout below:
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 41 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 1 hour 45 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop Dolan to NFL Hopeful Michael Sam: 'Bravo' UPDATED: March 08 2014 6:04 PM