Go Inside Family Equality Council's Star-Studded Awards Dinner
BY Lucas Grindley
February 12 2014 3:30 PM ET
Honoree Jennifer Tyrrell got a standing ovation for her role as an activist, born out of being a lesbian mom who was kicked out by the Boy Scouts as a den mother. She was introduced by Zach Wahls, who said "Jennifer is what courage looks like."
Wahls is on the red carpet with Family Equality Council's executive director, Gabriel Blau. In his keynote speech, Blau announced that the group was asked to file amicus briefs in marriage equality cases in Utah and Oklahoma. The infuence of their previous U.S. Supreme Court brief can be seen in the DOMA ruling written by Justice Anthony Kennedy.
- #TBT: The Battle for the Bulge
- 25 Unforgettable Gay TV Kisses
- Josh Duggar Resigns From Antigay Family Research Council Amid Sexual Abuse Allegations
- BREAKING: Michael Sam Signed to Montreal Alouettes
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- 18 Camp Classic Musicals That Make Us Sing