Eight LGBT Native Americans You Should Know
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
November 23 2012 5:00 AM ET
Paula Gun Allen
Before her death in 2008, author Paula Gunn Allen was one of the preeminent Native lesbian activists. Mixed-race (Native American, Lebanese, and Scottish) and closely identified with the Laguna Pueblo Tribe in which she grew up, Allen was a poet, author, and teacher who wrote often of the Native experience and edited several collections of Native American stories, including 1989's Spider Woman's Granddaughters: Traditional Tales and Contemporary Writing by Native American Women.
Her most acclaimed work (and her most popular with LGBTs) may just be the 1986 nonfiction book The Sacred Hoop: Recovering the Feminine in American Indian Traditions, which was groundbreaking in that it was the first of the new wave of academic works looking at Native history from women's perspective. Allen argued that women's roles were much larger than white explorers let on, because of the European colonizers' patriarchal biases. According to Allen, women were the decision-makers in many tribes; in others, gender equity was the norm. Though the book was criticized by some (mostly male) activists, it went on to become a classic text in many Native American college programs.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Same-Sex Kiss in Comic Inspired by Real-World Controversy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM