Senators Ask Obama for Executive Order Banning LGBT Employment Discrimination by Federal Contractors
BY Sunnivie Brydum
February 14 2013 4:24 PM ET
Nearly 40 Senators signed on to a letter today urging President Obama to issue an executive order barring federal contractors from discriminating against potential employees because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender.
“Issuing an Executive Order that includes sexual orientation and gender identity is a critical step that you can take today toward ending discrimination in the workplace,” wrote the Senators. “By expanding protections for LGBT employees of federal contractors, you would be helping to ensure that all Americans get an equal opportunity to succeed and that federal taxpayer dollars are used to support companies with the best employment practices.”
The letter was drafted by Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley, and signed by 36 other Senators, all Democrats — including the nation's first out lesbian Sen. Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, California's Sen. Barbara Boxer, and Minnesota Sen. Al Franken. The letter cites a figure from the Williams Institute at the University of California Los Angeles, estimating that an executive order barring employment discrimination would protect more than 16 million workers from being fired solely because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.
"An executive order from President Obama would ensure that hundreds of thousands of LGBT federal contract employees could go to work every day without fear of being fired for who they are or who they love," said Human Rights Campaign President Chad Griffin in a release. "I am grateful to these leaders in the Senate for speaking out on behalf of LGBT Americans who want nothing more than a fair shot at a job."
Read the full text of the letter in this PDF.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- A Letter to My Partners
- Television Looking GIF-cap: Season 1 Finale 1 hour 30 min ago
- Books Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel 1 hour 33 min ago
- Business P.R. Agency Adds LGBT Practice 1 hour 59 min ago
- Travel A Tour Through the San Francisco of Looking, Season One 2 hours 2 min ago
- Women Houston Lesbian Couple Found Murdered, Cops Searching for Suspect 2 hours 5 min ago
- Women WATCH: 10 Worst Ways to Pick Up a Lesbian 2 hours 8 min ago
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 2:45 PM