N.Y., Minn. Consider Banning 'Ex-Gay' Therapy
BY Trudy Ring
January 14 2014 10:02 PM ET
Following in the footsteps of California and New Jersey, state legislators in New York and Minnesota have introduced bills to prohibit licensed mental health professionals from performing so-called ex-gay therapy on minors.
Both pieces of legislation were introduced Monday. In New York, Assembly member Deborah Glick introduced the bill in her chamber, with senators Brad Hoylman and Michael Gianaris handling a companion bill in the state Senate, according to the Empire State Pride Agenda, the statewide LGBT rights group. In Minnesota, Karen Clark and Susan Allen introduced the bill in the House of Representatives, the news site Twin Cities Daily Planet reports.
Most major associations of mental health professionals consider therapy aimed at changing a person’s sexual orientation to be ineffective and harmful, opponents of such therapy note. “Trying to change someone’s true identity through so-called therapy is a dangerous practice that can seriously harm our LGBT youth,” said Pride Agenda executive director Nathan M. Schaefer in a press release. “Anyone who says they can change an LGBT person from being who they are is preying off of fear and confusion to sell a practice that doesn’t work and causes lasting harm.”
California passed legislation banning the use of such therapy on minors in 2012, and New Jersey followed last year. Both laws have been challenged in court but upheld. Similar legislation is under consideration in several other states.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist
- A Letter to My Partners
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag 17 min 31 sec ago
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem 24 min 20 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist 27 min 21 sec ago
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! 1 hour 49 min ago
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias 2 hours 2 min ago
- Sports South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén 2 hours 15 min ago
- Uganda WATCH: Meet the American Evangelical Behind Uganda's Antigay Law 2 hours 18 min ago