DNC: Baldwin Talks Economy, DADT, Wisconsin Marriage Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
September 06 2012 7:11 PM ET
Rep. Tammy Baldwin addressed the Democratic National Convention on Thursday, pledging to bet on Wisconsin's work force and taking jabs at Republican policies that she would favor millionaires and billionaires.
The Wisconsin senate candidate also voiced her support for President Obama's leadership in repealing "don't ask, don't tell," while also condemning efforts to ban marriage equality in her home state.
"Our president has made historic progress toward equality," she said. "He repealed 'don't ask, don't tell' so that no American ever again has to lie about who they are in order to serve the country we love. Republicans want to write discrimination into our Constitution. But the Wisconsin I know believes that with each passing year and each generation, our country must become more equal, not less. Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Scott Walker, Tommy Thompson—they think they're the only ones who speak for Wisconsin."
Baldwin stayed mainly on the economy, though, and said that she is a staunch supporter of the Buffet Rule, named after billionaire Warren Buffet, who believes that the wealthy should pay a proportionare share of taxes. She also emphasized her support for Wisconsin's workers.
"Wisconsin I know, knows that having two sets of rules makes no kind of sense," she said. "We believe in hard work. For decades, we've worked to make things: paper, engines, tools, ships—and, yes, cheese, brats, and beer. Give our workers a fair shot, and we'll compete against anyone."
According to Talking Points Memo, Baldwin is trailing her Republican opponent, former Wisconsin governor Tommy Thompson, who leads with an average of 51.6% of voters' support.
Watch her speech from the live feed here or read Baldwin's full speech on the following page.
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out March 08 2014 6:04 PM
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine March 08 2014 2:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return March 08 2014 7:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith March 08 2014 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 8:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 8:25 PM