DNC: Baldwin Talks Economy, DADT, Wisconsin Marriage Ban
BY Michelle Garcia
September 06 2012 6:11 PM ET
Rep. Tammy Baldwin addressed the Democratic National Convention on Thursday, pledging to bet on Wisconsin's work force and taking jabs at Republican policies that she would favor millionaires and billionaires.
The Wisconsin senate candidate also voiced her support for President Obama's leadership in repealing "don't ask, don't tell," while also condemning efforts to ban marriage equality in her home state.
"Our president has made historic progress toward equality," she said. "He repealed 'don't ask, don't tell' so that no American ever again has to lie about who they are in order to serve the country we love. Republicans want to write discrimination into our Constitution. But the Wisconsin I know believes that with each passing year and each generation, our country must become more equal, not less. Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Scott Walker, Tommy Thompson—they think they're the only ones who speak for Wisconsin."
Baldwin stayed mainly on the economy, though, and said that she is a staunch supporter of the Buffet Rule, named after billionaire Warren Buffet, who believes that the wealthy should pay a proportionare share of taxes. She also emphasized her support for Wisconsin's workers.
"Wisconsin I know, knows that having two sets of rules makes no kind of sense," she said. "We believe in hard work. For decades, we've worked to make things: paper, engines, tools, ships—and, yes, cheese, brats, and beer. Give our workers a fair shot, and we'll compete against anyone."
According to Talking Points Memo, Baldwin is trailing her Republican opponent, former Wisconsin governor Tommy Thompson, who leads with an average of 51.6% of voters' support.
Watch her speech from the live feed here or read Baldwin's full speech on the following page.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 1 hour 18 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 1 hour 49 min ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 2 hours 45 min ago
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM