A Most-Wanted List: Mayors Not for Marriage
BY Josh Hinkle
February 23 2012 4:00 AM ET
"Though Mayor Fischer has not signed on to the Freedom to Marry
coalition, he is nonetheless a strong supporter of GLBT rights. There
are several openly gay people in key leadership positions in his
administration, and he signed an executive order within six months of
taking office extending health care benefits to domestic partners of
city employees. He also has been a supporter of the local Fairness
Campaign, a Louisville nonprofit that advocates for GLBT equality in
our city." —Chris Poynter, communications director for Mayor Greg
Fischer of Louisville, Ky.
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'
- Why the Mississippi Marriage Win Is Our Most Important Yet
- Meet This Year's 'Prime Time 25'