8 Top Prospects for Expanding Marriage Equality
BY Julie Bolcer
November 20 2012 6:26 PM ET
Illinois: Marriage equality legislation has so far failed to advance in the home state of President Obama, but a number of factors cause advocates to believe the time has arrived to move beyond the recent civil unions law. Democrats won a super-majority in last month’s elections, and Mayor Rahm Emanuel of Chicago, a prominent member of the Mayors for the Freedom to Marry coalition, has prioritized the issue. Governor Pat Quinn supports the legislation and exit polls from election night showed a majority of voters support marriage equality. Separately, a lawsuit in state court is challenging the state law banning same-sex marriages.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View