George Takei's Marriage Equality Lunch-Date with Donald Trump
BY Sunnivie Brydum
December 05 2012 4:05 PM ET
Takei told his Facebook friends that he and Trump ate together at New York's Trump Tower Grill, in an hour-long meeting Takei called "a lively and engaging hour-long conversation that touched upon his personal position on marriage equality."
"[Trump] confided that he recently attended a same-sex wedding" Takei said, "and that he found it 'beautiful.'" Takei said he and Trump discussed New York's freshly minted marriage equality law, which Takei said is "better for business."
"I am always ready to speak to those ready to listen," Takei wrote. "I hope that my chat with The Don might have some effect on his stance on the subject."
Last March, when Trump was considering a presidential bid, he told the Des Moines Register that he opposed same-sex marriage. In an article in the New York Times in May, Trump compared his opposition to marriage equality to his resistance to using a new type of putter in golf.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 4 min 52 sec ago
- Women Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 5 min 3 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 10 min 44 sec ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 25 min 6 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 53 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 13 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 16 min ago