Delaware Governor on Marriage Equality: 'It Can Happen This Year'
BY Lucas Grindley
April 10 2013 12:58 PM ET
With lawmakers in Delaware ready to consider a marriage equality law, the state's governor rallied college students this week to help add pressure on politicians.
“It can happen here in Delaware and it can happen this year,” said Gov. Jack Markell, according to The News Journal, during a rally at University of Delaware Trabant. "If you promise to do your part, and to ensure that a marriage equality bill reaches my desk this year, I make a promise to you, I will sign it."
Meanwhile, state Republicans who oppose marriage equality are showing their disappointment with the state party's gay executive director, John Fluharty, who told the Washington Blade in March that he supports legalizing same-sex marriage. The Blade reports that Sussex County Republican leaders passed an amendment this week declaring that anyone hired by the Delaware GOP should line up in lockstep with their opposition. It said the party "“stands for traditional family values and all hired representatives of that organization shall publicly reflect that view.”
So far, the Delaware GOP chairman hasn't disciplined Fluharty and has said instead that he was speaking only for himself, not the party.
Watch a portion of the governor's speech below via The News Journal.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: One Day in Big Gaylarious America 2 hours 27 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 6:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 5:00 AM
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 5:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM