McGreevey Amazed by New Jersey Marriage Decision
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
October 19 2013 2:15 PM ET
It's been nearly a decade since former New Jersey governor Jim McGreevey came out as a "gay American," just months after signing a law that legalized domestic partnerships in the state. Now he's speaking out about the state Supreme Court ruling that allows same-sex marriages to begin Monday.
He told The Star Ledger that he never would have envisioned the new political changes, "And whether you agree with the decision, as do I, or you disagree, there is something very special about America and our state that this could happen. It's a testament to who we are as people that we can change opinions in an orderly, respectful manner, and God willing, to be better people for it."
Susan K. Livio of The Star-Ledger spoke to McGreevey, whose 2004 law was meant to office same-sex couples the same rights as marriage but was challenged in court, reports that law lead to civil unions in 2007 and "the lawsuit over that law resulted in today's decision."
"Most of us knew domestic partnerships at best were a stated aspiration as opposed to a clear matter of equity," he told Livio. "To think how far we come in such a short stead, it's remarkable. To envision in my lifetime an African American president and gay marriage is to really redefine that a sense of equity in America is possible."
No word, though, on whether McGreevy and his longtime partner, would be taking the plunge themselves.
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 8 min 54 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 16 min 22 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 24 min 27 sec ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 27 min 2 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 35 min 10 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 54 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 59 min ago