Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food
BY Nicholas Cimarusti
December 06 2013 1:21 PM ET
The latest public output from anti-LGBT organization Illinois Family Institute, an independent, nonprofit Christian ministry that is vocal in its opposition to marriage equality, is a fabricated nutrition label that attempts to be clever, reports Good As You.
Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn signed the state's marriage equality bill into law on November 20, making the Land of Lincoln the 16th state to embrace the freedom to marry. When the state House passed the bill by a vote of 61-54 earlier that month, the Illinois Family Institute's "cultural analyst" Laurie Higgins expressed the organization's discontent in a blog post headlined "Random Thoughts on Tragic Marriage Vote." Her post contained the usual right-wing diatribe against marriage equality, claiming that "cowardly and/or ignorant Illinois lawmakers" voted "in defiance of truth, history, logic, compassion, and in some cases, their own religious traditions… to legally recognize non-marital unions as marriages."
Since the Illinois Family Institute decidedly lost the marraige equality battle, it has turned its attention toward more pressing matters: lackluster satire. The nutritional label is presumably from an energy drink for a politician who supports marriage equality. The label desperately tries to be witty, but is weighed down by intolerance and bigoted logic — not to mention questionable mathematics.
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM