For TV, 30 Years of Queers
BY Neal Broverman
May 30 2008 12:00 AM ET
Who was the first queer character you saw on TV?
That's a heady question for many LGBT people because it probably coincided with a heavy weight being lifted off your shoulders; I'm not alone!
Over the past three decades or so, queer representation on TV has been minimal and mocking at best (as opposed to the early years of TV, when we were completely nonexistent). Much has improved since Billy Crystal broke the mold with his portrayal of a young gay man on the '70s sitcom Soap -- but there's a long way to go.
This was all addressed at Thursday's "LGBT: Above and Below the Line in Prime" event, sponsored by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences at its theatre in North Hollywood. Moderated by Bruce Vilanch -- wearing a red T-shirt that featured Fred Phelps holding two signs, "God Dates Fags" and "Everybody on the Dancefloor" -- the comedian opened the show with an announcement that he just had knee surgery after falling -- off a very tall man.
Panelist Candace Cayne
Following a rousing speech by GLAAD's Neil Giuliano, Vilanch introduced an enormous and impressive panel of TV talent, including Brothers & Sisters writer David Marshall Grant, DL Chronicles creators Quincy LeNear and Deondray Gossett, here! executive Meredith Kadlec, transgender actresses Candace Cayne and Alexandra Billings, lesbian actress Amanda Bearse, and Billy Crystal.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 17 min 53 sec ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM