Maddow Again Beats Fox News in Key Audience Demographic
BY Ran Aubrey Frazier
February 11 2014 4:04 PM ET
Just six weeks into 2014, MSNBC host Rachel Maddow has once again won a key ratings victory in the 9 p.m. time slot, beating Fox News in the advertiser-coveted 25-to-54-year-old demographic last week, reports MediaBistro.
Maddow's first win of 2014 came the week of January 6, when she received her highest ratings since April 15 of last year, during the Boston Marathon bombing.
Maddow's comprehensive coverage of New Jersey governor Chris Christie's bridge-closure scandal has been a critical factor in her ratings success. In December she became the first cable newscaster to cover Christie's alleged bullying strategies, suggesting that the lane closures on the George Washington Bridge might have been his way of getting back at a political adversary. Since then she has regularly reported on the story and consistently broken news about further developments.
Maddow's ratings win is important for MSNBC, as it puts her ahead of Fox News's Megyn Kelly, whose promotion to prime time was Fox's bid to secure a younger viewing audience, notes MediaBistro. Maddow's second win in six weeks highlights the possibility that Kelly might not be connecting with the intended demographic as easily as Fox hoped.
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 2 hours 35 min ago
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM