Maddow Again Beats Fox News in Key Audience Demographic
BY Ran Aubrey Frazier
February 11 2014 5:04 PM ET
Just six weeks into 2014, MSNBC host Rachel Maddow has once again won a key ratings victory in the 9 p.m. time slot, beating Fox News in the advertiser-coveted 25-to-54-year-old demographic last week, reports MediaBistro.
Maddow's first win of 2014 came the week of January 6, when she received her highest ratings since April 15 of last year, during the Boston Marathon bombing.
Maddow's comprehensive coverage of New Jersey governor Chris Christie's bridge-closure scandal has been a critical factor in her ratings success. In December she became the first cable newscaster to cover Christie's alleged bullying strategies, suggesting that the lane closures on the George Washington Bridge might have been his way of getting back at a political adversary. Since then she has regularly reported on the story and consistently broken news about further developments.
Maddow's ratings win is important for MSNBC, as it puts her ahead of Fox News's Megyn Kelly, whose promotion to prime time was Fox's bid to secure a younger viewing audience, notes MediaBistro. Maddow's second win in six weeks highlights the possibility that Kelly might not be connecting with the intended demographic as easily as Fox hoped.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM