WATCH: Fox's Juan Williams Asks Whether Phil Robertson Is Face of GOP Outreach
BY Rebecca Juro
June 02 2014 7:30 AM ET
When asked on Fox News whether having Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson speak at the Republican Leadership Conference was a good idea for the GOP, commentator Juan Williams didn't hold back.
“No! Where does it say…that the GOP makes a hero out of a guy who says blacks were happy with slavery and segregation and gays are to be damned?" said Williams on the May 31 edition of Cashin’ In "I mean that’s just… is he the chief of outreach for the GOP, or is he the chief of internal self-satisfaction?”
Robertson spoke at the Republican Leadership Conference on Thursday. Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Prebus, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, and Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson also took the stage at the conference held in New Orleans.
For his part, Robertson seemed to inadvertently sum up the state of the GOP. “I’m not a political person,” he told the gathering, according to video from Politico. “I guess the GOP may be more desperate than I thought to call somebody like me.” Then Robertson suggested that getting more Biblical would fix everything. “You want to turn the Republican Party around, get godly," he told them.
Watch Williams, followed by Robertson, in the videos below:
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- PHOTOS: Toronto Shows Off Its Pride
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Ethics Complaint Filed Against Texas AG Over Stance on Marriage Licenses
- PHOTOS: The Bare Truths of Trans Men