WATCH: Fox's Juan Williams Asks Whether Phil Robertson Is Face of GOP Outreach
BY Rebecca Juro
June 02 2014 7:30 AM ET
When asked on Fox News whether having Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson speak at the Republican Leadership Conference was a good idea for the GOP, commentator Juan Williams didn't hold back.
“No! Where does it say…that the GOP makes a hero out of a guy who says blacks were happy with slavery and segregation and gays are to be damned?" said Williams on the May 31 edition of Cashin’ In "I mean that’s just… is he the chief of outreach for the GOP, or is he the chief of internal self-satisfaction?”
Robertson spoke at the Republican Leadership Conference on Thursday. Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Prebus, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, and Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson also took the stage at the conference held in New Orleans.
For his part, Robertson seemed to inadvertently sum up the state of the GOP. “I’m not a political person,” he told the gathering, according to video from Politico. “I guess the GOP may be more desperate than I thought to call somebody like me.” Then Robertson suggested that getting more Biblical would fix everything. “You want to turn the Republican Party around, get godly," he told them.
Watch Williams, followed by Robertson, in the videos below:
- Reports: Dallas Cowboys Eye Michael Sam for Practice Squad
- 7 Brave Campuses for LGBT Students in the South
- Michael Sam Passed Over By Every NFL Team
- Op-ed: HIV Is No Longer A Death Sentence But It Still Isn't Easy
- Op-ed: In The Long Run, Michael Sam Being Cut Was About Homophobia
- Op-ed: Miley's Date Proves Homelessness Is the Real Crime