Trans Woman to Head Prominent LGBT Military Group
BY Neal Broverman
October 25 2012 11:53 AM ET
Servicemembers Legal Defense Network and OutServe, a joint organization advocating for LGBT military personnel, has tapped 1994 West Point graduate Allyson Robinson to lead the group in a post-"don't ask, don't tell" world.
Robinson, a lesbian trans woman from Scranton, Pa., and now living in Maryland, is a respected Army veteran. She commanded PATRIOT missile units in Europe and the Middle East as well as serving as a trainer for NATO and an adviser to the armed forces of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, and Qatar. Robinson earned a master of dvinity degree in theology from Texas's Baylor University in 2007 before going to work at the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Workplace Project, where she helped the organization design programs to improve fair inclusion in the workplace.
As head of SLDN-Outserve, Robinson says her priority is speeding the fight for equal support and benefits for all servicemembers regardless of orientation or gender expression.
"The repeal of 'don't ask, don't tell' taught us that to be victorious, we must fight inequality on multiple fronts — in the court, on Capitol Hill, and in the public square," Robinson said in a release. "It's time to pass the Respect for Marriage Act, revise laws that prevent the military from honoring the service of all of our nation's men and women in uniform, and end marriage discrimination for our servicemembers and their families once and for all."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 2 hours 16 min ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 2 hours 56 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM