Meet America's (Shockingly Small) Pool of Trans Elected Officials
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2012 5:00 AM ET
Stu Rasmussen, mayor of Silverton, Ore.
The mayor of Silverton, Ore., a small city south of Portland, Rasmussen identifies as transgender but uses male pronouns and dresses in women's clothing. A successful local businessman, Rasmussen was first elected mayor of the city in 2008, reelected in 2010, and reeelected again last week (he served on the City Council for two terms prior to 2008). Rasumussen is prepared to do battle with a deficit in the city's coffers and voters think he's more than up to the task.
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Mississippi Marriage Ban Struck Down
- Antigay Activist: Buy My 'No Such Thing as Gay' Book
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson