Meet America's (Shockingly Small) Pool of Trans Elected Officials
BY Neal Broverman
November 14 2012 6:00 AM ET
Stu Rasmussen, mayor of Silverton, Ore.
The mayor of Silverton, Ore., a small city south of Portland, Rasmussen identifies as transgender but uses male pronouns and dresses in women's clothing. A successful local businessman, Rasmussen was first elected mayor of the city in 2008, reelected in 2010, and reeelected again last week (he served on the City Council for two terms prior to 2008). Rasumussen is prepared to do battle with a deficit in the city's coffers and voters think he's more than up to the task.
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Marriage Equality Supporter Featured in Mormon Anti-Marriage Equality Post
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Why These Four Justices Rejected Marriage Equality
- Out Photographer Slammed for Gay Iwo Jima Re-Creation