Transgender Woman Assaulted in Possible Hate Crime
BY Parker Marie Molloy
January 16 2014 2:23 PM ET
On January 8, a 30-year-old transgender woman and a 32-year-old man were assaulted by two women inside Astoria's Neptune Diner in what the New York Police Department referred to as a "possible hate crime."
In a statement to DNAInfo New York, Deputy Inspector Kevin Maloney of the 114th precinct described the altercation, saying two unidentified women in their late 20s or early 30s began verbally harassing the transgender woman, making a series of derogatory statements and following that up by hitting the victims with a plate. Both victims received medical attention at Mount Sinai Queens Hospital.
The two women, along with a male companion, are wanted for questioning by the NYPD. The department's Hate Crimes Task Force is investigating the assault.
According to a report released in 2012 by the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs, transgender individuals are significantly more likely to become victims of assault than their cisgender counterparts. Elsewhere, the killer of Islan Nettles, a transgender woman brutally murdered in New York last August, remains at large.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List
- Current Issue Truly Social Networking 25 min 36 sec ago
- Seat Filler 5 Must-See Shows: What's Gay Off-Broadway 1 hour 26 min ago
- Media Chicago Monthly Paper Threatens to Out Aldermen March 11 2014 8:40 PM
- Travel VIDEO: George Takei at Austin's SXSW Festival March 11 2014 7:17 PM
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference March 11 2014 7:02 PM
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families March 11 2014 6:45 PM
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia March 11 2014 6:27 PM