Reasons for Pride: Setbacks for the Right Wing
BY Trudy Ring
June 30 2014 5:22 AM ET
“License to discriminate” legislation is failing in most states.
After much outcry, in February Arizona governor Jan Brewer vetoed a bill passed by the state legislature that would have allowed business owners to evade antidiscrimination law by citing their religious beliefs — for instance, if they didn’t want to serve a gay couple or members of a different faith. Similar proposals have failed to pass in several other states, including Kansas, Georgia, Idaho, Maine, South Dakota, and Tennessee, and Indiana. Unfortunately, one passed in Mississippi and was signed into law by Gov. Phil Bryant in April. Would Mississippi like to secede again?
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6