21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
12. Fred Karger and LGBT Republicans
The Log Cabin Republicans helped get DADT repealed, GOProud got Ann Coulter to back the group, and Republican Fred Karger, the first openly gay man to run for president of the United States, put party politics front and center. But he can’t seem to get into any of his party’s debates — one of which included an infamous moment when a gay soldier was booed by the audience.
(RELATED: Fox News Sidelines Karger in Debate)
- 7 Immediate Examples of Backlash to Indiana's 'Religious Freedom'
- Audra McDonald Rips Indiana Governor Over Law
- Trans Teen Activist, Former Homecoming King, Dies in Charlotte, N.C.
- Texas Successfully Blocks New Federal Rights for Gay Couples
- Gov. Mike Pence Just Gave Indiana a 'License to Discriminate'
- 12 Celebrities Who Said the “F” Word