21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
12. Fred Karger and LGBT Republicans
The Log Cabin Republicans helped get DADT repealed, GOProud got Ann Coulter to back the group, and Republican Fred Karger, the first openly gay man to run for president of the United States, put party politics front and center. But he can’t seem to get into any of his party’s debates — one of which included an infamous moment when a gay soldier was booed by the audience.
(RELATED: Fox News Sidelines Karger in Debate)
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban