21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
12. Fred Karger and LGBT Republicans
The Log Cabin Republicans helped get DADT repealed, GOProud got Ann Coulter to back the group, and Republican Fred Karger, the first openly gay man to run for president of the United States, put party politics front and center. But he can’t seem to get into any of his party’s debates — one of which included an infamous moment when a gay soldier was booed by the audience.
(RELATED: Fox News Sidelines Karger in Debate)
- PHOTOS: Men Over 50, 3rd Edition
- Rick Santorum Defends Bruce Jenner: 'He's a Woman'
- Mayweather, Pacquiao: Two Checkered Pasts with LGBTs, One with Women
- WATCH: Being Gay Is 'Death Worthy,' According to Georgia Church Sign
- New Details Emerge as Officials Rule Leelah Alcorn's Death a 'Suicide'
- Argentina Makes History With Three-Parent Birth Certificate