21 Top News Stories of the Year
BY Lucas Grindley
November 14 2011 5:00 AM ET
9. YouTube Airman
Viral video sensations often involve kittens or clumsiness. But a coming-out story made headlines when “don’t ask, don’t tell” was repealed and Senior Airman Randy Phillips called his father from a base in Germany to tell him, “I’m gay.” A video of the touching moment has been viewed nearly 5 million times and is still going strong.
(RELATED: YouTube: Gay Airman Comes Out to His Dad)
- First Gay Couple to Wed at West Point Turns Tables on Antigay Attacker
- UFC Women's Champ Refuses to Fight Trans Athlete Fallon Fox
- Op-ed: Are Millennials More Racist Than Antigay?
- Op-ed: Think NOM Is Dead? Think Again
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Another Marriage Equality Group Calls It Quits