PHOTOS: Elegance and Honor, the State Funeral of José Sarria
BY Christopher Harrity
September 08 2013 4:00 AM ET
From a job as a waiter at the notorious Black Cat bar to a state funeral held at the prestigious Grace Cathedral at the top of Nob Hill in San Francisco, Sarria's life has been an inspiration to not only his Bay Area followers and fans, but the larger LGBT community that wanted to participate in government and public service.
José Julio Sarria's official title was Empress Jose I, the Widow Norton, and his memorial — A Celebration of Life for Jose Julio Sarria — was held on Friday, September 6, 2013 in San Francisco, Calif. Sarria, who was born in San Francisco in 1922, died at his home in Albuquerque on Aug. 19 at the age of 90.
Sarria founded the Imperial Court system in San Francisco and the organization that focused on community service and celebration grew nationwide to include at least 70 other court systems.
SFGate.com reports that Sarria was buried in a grave next to the last resting place of Joshua Abraham Norton, better known at Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico.
Gratitude goes to Bay Area photographer Liz Highleyman for her photos here. See more from this special day on her Facebook page.
For more images from this celebration go to the following pages >>>
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda 42 min 32 sec ago
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina 1 hour 42 min ago
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM